Inventory Unit Detail
2014 Honda CBR650FA
Who says that practical, comfortable, everyday bikes can’t generate the adrenalin rush of their RR brethren? Case in point, the CBR650F - its high torque, in-line four-cylinder engine, tuned for strong low-end, mid-range and top-end power, provides tremendous drive off the line and out of turns. The all-new steel chassis positions the engine far forward for optimal weight distribution and is tuned to provide an excellent balance between comfort and rigidity. An aluminum swingarm with a direct mounted single-shock handles the suspension duties at the rear while a 41 mm front fork keeps the front end planted in turns. Powerful, dual 320 mm wave-style front-brake rotors, supported by a single 240 mm rear, provide track level stopping power. Two channel ABS works in harmony with the wide, high-traction sporting radial tires to help ensure strong and secure stopping in a variety of conditions.
So the CBR650F has the sporting credentials to live-up to the CBR designation, but what will catch your eye first is the unique styling. The design team for the CBR650F included a number of young engineers in their 20s who wanted to create a thoroughly modern and unique sport bike for today’s world. Since the engine, chassis, bodywork and, even, the wheels were all new, they had virtually a blank canvas to work with and what they came up with is a stunning design. From the minimalist full fairing that leaves most of the engine exposed, to the sweeping exhaust headers, to the arcing aluminum swingarm, the CBR650F is attractive from any angle.
CBR650F - built for both the young and the young at heart
- The DOHC 16-valve cylinder head employs direct cam actuation and cam timing that delivers strong torque and drivability below 4,000 rpm.
- Peak power arrives at 11,000 rpm with peak torque at 8,000 rpm for a broad usable powerband. The engine is smooth at all rpm, with distinct inline four-cylinder character and resonance.
- To ensure good fuel economy at constant throttle short valve overlap timing works in harmony with a specific ignition map. Range can exceed 350km per tank.
- The liquid-cooled engine uses compact internal architecture, with a stacked six-speed gearbox and starter/clutch layout. The four cylinders are canted forward 30° to lower centre of gravity.
- A down-flow airbox and narrow 30 mm high-velocity funnels, route intake airflow in as straight a line as possible. The PGM-FI fuel injection system operates with information from four separate throttle body sensors on 32 mm throttle bores for crisp and accurate throttle response. Careful siting and angling of the throttle bodies allows a narrow frame width, improving manageability for the rider.
- Optimization of con-rod length has decreased the side-force on each piston and ‘breathing’ holes in the crankcase walls between journals reduce pumping losses as rpm rises. The pistons feature asymmetric skirts minimizing bore contact to reduce friction further and ferrous spines on the outer surface of the cylinder sleeves reduce oil consumption and improve heat transfer.
- The water pump – designed with CAE study of water flow – is compact and efficient, reducing drag.
- Internal water channeling from cylinder head to cylinders reduces the number of external hoses allowing the motor to show off its minimal, elegant beauty and functional style.
- Right side-sweeping 4-2-1 exhaust employs optimized downpipe length and diameter, plus patented internal plates regulating airflow to improve torque. The ‘wafer’ design stubby under-slung muffler – with 400-cell catalyzer – contributes to mass centralization.
- Steel, diamond frame uses twin 64 mm x 30 mm elliptical spars. Its rigidity balance has been specifically tuned – it’s much stiffer around the headstock and more ‘flexible’ in the spar sections – to deliver desirable handling characteristics and a high level of rider feedback.
- The swingarm pivot plate is forged then welded together, while the gravity die-cast aluminum swingarm arcs up over the muffler on the right. The single-tube monoshock offers 7-stage spring preload adjustment and operates directly on the swingarm.
- The shock and 41 mm telescopic fork have been developed to work directly with the CBR650F frame’s performance parameters to provide supple, neutral control in all conditions. Firmer spring rates (with damping to suit) match the bike’s more sports-oriented focus.
- Cast aluminum five-spoke wheels wear 120/70-17 and 180/55-17 front and rear radial tires.
- Wavy brake discs use the same manufacturing technique as the twin-cylinder NC750 series; the 240 mm rear is formed within a 320 mm front, saving material (and ultimately cost) to the customer. The two-piston front calipers and single-piston rear are managed by standard 2-channel ABS, ensuring safe and consistent stopping in most conditions.
- ‘Mass Forward’ styling gives the CBR650F its sleek and aggressive appearance. The dynamically curved fuel tank and chiseled fairing add a strong identity, as does the stubby, shrink-wrapped tail unit. Hinged at the back the tank allows easy access to the cylinder head for maintenance. Both taillight and front position light are LED.
- The riding position is on the relaxed side of sporty and passengers get an ample seat and a grab strap for security.
- The dash includes twin large digital screens. On the left are the rev-counter and speedometer; on the right are a fuel gauge, clock, odometer and warning lights. Both sides are lit by a white back light.
- A compact ‘wave’ design ignition key offers improved security and reduced chance of breakage.
- Engine Type: Liquid-cooled inline-four
- Displacement: 649 cc
- Bore & Stroke: 67 mm x 46 mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.4:1
- Valve Train: Chain-driven DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
- Fuel Delivery: PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final Drive: O-ring-sealed chain
- Front Suspension: 41 mm telescopic fork; 120 mm (4.7 in.) travel
- Tires: 120/70ZR - 17 front; 180/55ZR - 17 rear
- Brakes: Front dual 320 mm wave discs with double-piston calipers; rear 240 mm wave disc with single-piston caliper.
- Seat Height: 810 mm (31.9 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1,450 mm (57.1 in.)
- Curb Weight: 211 kg (465 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride
- Fuel Capacity: 17.3 litres
- Colour: Metallic Silver, Candy Blue
- Warranty: 12 months, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus
- Engine Type
- Inline-four, Chain-driven DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
- 649 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 67 mm x 46 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
- Front Suspension
- 41 mm telescopic fork; 120 mm (4.7 in.) travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual 320 mm wave discs with double-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes
- 240 mm wave disc with single-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- 120/70ZR - 17
- Rear Tire
- 180/55ZR - 17
- 1,450 mm (57.1 in.)
- Seat Height
- 810 mm (31.9 in.)
- Fuel Capacity
- 17.3 L
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 211 kg (465 lb.)
- Final Drive
- O-ring-sealed chain
- Standard: Digital
- Standard: Digital
- Standard: Digital
- Metallic Silver, Candy Blue
- 12 months, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus